Maintain independence & dignity
Respect everyone's needs
Tackle difficult conversations
Elder mediators can assist older people, their families and significant others with difficult conversations, to make plans and to reach outcomes to disagreements – outcomes that work for the older persons, respect their rights and enhance their safety.
CLARE is our specifically designed program to assist people as they tackle conversations with their families and significant others, service providers and community.
Chalice Consulting's interest in elder mediation has grown out of our experiences with family and workplace mediation. We can assist with issues such as:
- Inter-generational conflict in workplaces, acknowledging the capabilities and protecting the rights of older workers, particularly those close to "retirement age"
- Extended family and inter-generational conflict (feuds, guilt, grudges and rivalries)
- Grandparents seeking to improve contact with estranged grandchildren after family breakdown
- Managing the financial and other impacts when older parents are called on to care for grandchildren
- Navigating conversations with family and service providers about maintaining independence in later life, including powers of attorney, aged care assessments, advance care planning and end of life planning
"I try talking with them about what they need as they are getting older, but they just makes jokes about the inheritance."
"...they knew they were going to die, but their families wouldn’t talk about it with them … and they had things to tell people before they died."
Palliative Care Volunteer